Saturday, 28 February 2009

Slide Rule


While we lived at a motel I attended yet another school. It was a nice school, with a great math teacher. East Valley Middle School was my next stop on my education trip. Unfortunately I was only there for a few weeks. This was my third school.
At the time I didn't realize it but we were at the motel while we were waiting for our house to become available.
At the first of September 1959 we moved into a small house on south 7th in Coeur d'Alene. It was a nice house but very small and home number 9.
We started attending the Catholic School in Coeur d'Alene. We wore uniforms and attended church before school every morning. The nuns taught the classes. For the first time my teacher was interested in me and how I learned. Before, I was forced to learn anyway they could teach me.
So in the fourth grade I finally learned how to learn and from then on learning was fun!
I remember one night the lighting struck very close to our home and broke several windows.
I also remember I was getting nose bleeds all the time so I had nose surgery. I was recuperating for the surgery , lying on the sofa in the living room for days, my nose packed with cotton.
My sister was dating an older guy, Gary Boothe. He was in college and very intellegent, he was studying to be an engineer. He came to the house to pick up Jerry for a date. Jerry was late so to fill the time he showed me how to use a slide rule to do my math homework. It was so much fun.
One day many weeks after I was back to school I came home and the brand new car Dad had bought was in the drive way with all the tires flat! I knew something was going on and I couldn't wait to find out what the story was.
I didn't say anything when I went in the house. I put my books away and sat down in the kithchen. I waited.........nothing all through dinner. Then as the table was cleared Dad asked my brother "Why?". My brother tried to explain. He saw on tv kid lined up nails behin the car and when the car backed out of the drive the tires went flat. My brother wanted to know if it would really work.
I couldn't beleive it. My Dad just broke out laughing. It was so unfair.
I learned the next day that my little brother would lose his allowance and have to work at the shop every weekend for the rest of the month.
Mom was working at JC Penney's and Dad has opened a shoe repair shop. Things were going good. In October, we moved across town to a much larger home. It was an older two story home with a wonderful front porch and Chestnut trees at the curb on Montana Steet. My half sister Deannie was married and but for some reason she came to live with us. I think her husband was in the military but I am not sure. House #10