Saturday, 28 February 2009

Another Move


We're moving, we're moving! We sang it throughout the house, throughout the day, throughout the entire drive. We didn't know where we were going but we didn't care. It was the excitement of the change! Better or worse, at least it would be different!! Mom and Dad had worked most of the evening before and now we all worked all day sorting, packing and loading everything. Two trucks, Mom driving one with my brother and me as her passengers. Dad driving the other truck with my older sister along. Down the unknown road we all go, to a new town, a new home, new people and a new start. It was all delicious and breathtaking. It was July of 1957. We all pulled into the driveway of a big new modern home. Very different than the barn-turned-home we had been living in. The new home had sheet rock walls and a Basement! I had my own bedroom, there were two bathrooms and both of them were inside the house. The surprises went on and on. We had a lawn rather than a wheat field around the house. I was in a wonderland.
I have many memories of this home, playing canasta with Mom and Dad, eating grapes form the plant in the backyard, coming home from school with the measles, the doctor coming to the house to pronounce the sentence of bed rest, the mumps a week later. So many things.
My half sister on my Dad's side came to stay with us for the school year. That was awful. I didn't care for her much and my older sister really didn't like her.
We even had an automatic dishwasher in the tiny kitchen. Dad worked at Goodwill learning to upholster furniture and cobble shoes. Mom worked at Safeway as a cashier. We went to McFarland School the entire year. I joined girl scouts and brownies. It was a good year. Dad even bought a Cadillac car.
It was so large that my friends and I would play house in the back seat. It was our living room and the front seat was the kitchen. It was so plush and made a wonderful play house.
I never knew why but it was all to end in May of 1958.
This was our fifth home.