Saturday, 28 February 2009

BINGO!!!!


In 1955 my family lived in De Smet, Idaho. De Smet is an Indian Reservation and we were the only white family allowed to live there. My mom had a government post there as the Post Mistress. The Reservation was served by a Catholic convent. The convent ran the school on the reservation.
To raise money for the school and church the nuns held bingo nights. I was only 5 years old. Mom enjoyed bingo so we children went to bingo with her. If we behaved we were allowed to play our own bingo card. My shining memory was that one night I had bingo and told mom. She told me to yell bingo but I was too shy. She cried out for me "BINGO" but I had to go up on stage and pick out which prize I wanted. I took a long time and looked at all the prizes. I finally decided on a set of Pyrex pots. I was so proud of those pans. They were too heavy for me to carry by myself. The Mother Superior helped me carry them back to my seat. It was a wonderful night.