Saturday, 28 February 2009

Thats our home?


The new house. What a project. When we first moved to the reservation we were living in a small trailer. Mom had gotten the job of Post Mistress at the reservation Post Office. It was a good job because it was a federal government job. The Post Mistress ran a small post office that was housed inside a local small grocery store. Dad managed the local grocery store for the tribal council.
Housing was not included in either job so Dad decided to tear down the attached barn board by board. He even saved the nails. He used the lumber to build us a home attached to the grocery/post office. Every night after the grocery store closed until the sun was down Dad would work on the house.
Often Mom would be right beside him helping. My self and my younger brother were each given a hammer and it was our job to straighten all the used nails. My older sister was the official holder and helper.
It took many months, from September to May. I never want to straighten another nail! Once it was finished we had a beautiful home, custom and polished with hardwood floors. We had running water, a kitchen sink, bathroom sink, tub and toilet.
I can remember the first time I used the new toilet. There were no walls so Dad tacked up some cardboard for a little privacy. It was so great to have an "indoor" toilet again. We had been using the outhouse.
One Saturday my brother and I had the day off from "nail duty". We decided we would use some of the left over lumber to make ourselves a slide. We propped a board against the out side of the house, we climbed on the roof and I took my turn first. I slid down the board......I only made it about 6".
I immediately went to Mom screaming and crying!! She asked why I was screaming and in between sobs I explained that I had hurt my bum. I lifted my dress and mom burst out laughing. I remember the relief as I lay over her lap, bottom up.
I never tried to make my own slide again.
This barn converted to home was our fourth home.