Saturday, 28 February 2009

little trailer BIG TRAILER


It was only the last week of school, May of 1958. I came home from school that same as always. I got off the bus and walked about 2 blocks to our house. There in the driveway was a silver trailer, the kind used to camp in. Mom and Dad were chatting and packing things into the trailer. My brother and I assumed we were going camping. We each went to our bedrooms to find that even our bed had been disassembled and were sitting in the garage. Finally we are told that we are moving again. It sounds so exciting. We are moving and it is like an extended camping trip! Come to find out we are only moving to a suburb of Spokane, Opportunity and a new school. We moved to a little trailer park by the railroad tracks. It was grand for us, as children. We loved to watch the trains as they came by but my parents didn't see it the same way. Each time our little trailer rattled because of the passing train Mom and Dad would grumble. I knew they were unhappy. We had a tiny yard, just big enough to play hula hoop in....Dad showed us how to tie a slip knot, how to watch the stars and we even sat outside very late one light and watched sputnik streak across our sky. It was wonderful, I even read about it the next day in the newspapers. We lived in the little trailer for about 4 months and as always Mom and Dad made it seem like a great adventure and wonderful. This small trailer was our 6th home. This chapter ended one day in late September of 1958 when Mom and Dad pulled up in front of the school in a Semi with a large mobile home towed behind. Dad was driving and Mom called me to hop up into the cab and I knew we were off to another adventure.
This is the seventh home.