Saturday, 28 February 2009

Jobedien


I had a wonderful friend when I was 5 years old. Her name was Jobedien. We shared dollies, ice cream bars and sodas.
When Jobedien's mother would come to the grocery store Jobedien and I would sit on the porch steps and share what ever treat we could whine out of my mother.
I remember her face......round with youthful cheeks and dark shining eyes. We held hands as best friends at 5 years old often do. We talked of our dollies and traded their clothes. It was wonderful.
Then one day in June of 1956 it all ended! We sat on the porch step with a 1/2 Popsicle each. It seemed like every other day. Jobedien's mother came out of the store with her grocery bags.
When Jobedien stood to go home, her mother noticed the wet spot left on the step. "Jobedien did you wet your pants?" she asked. Jobedien never even hesitated. "No momma, Shery did it!"
I was aghast and heartbroken and betrayed. I never sat with Jobedien again. Even at 5 years old I was knew things wouldn't be the same again.
We left the reservation a few months later, moved to another town but 38 years later I was sitting in a restaurant in Chandler Arizona having dinner with a friend. A woman approached our table and asked if I knew of De Smet Idaho.
I was shocked and perplexed. It was such an "out of the blue" question. I answered "Yes I know of it. Why?" She asked if I remembered Jobedien. "Yes" as the astonishment showed in my voice and face I am sure. I asked if she knew her and how she knew I would know her. She announced that she was Jobedien and that she recognized my voice!
We sat a visited a little. I found that she was in Chandler just for the evening and I explained I was there for as long as the job lasted, which would be only a few months. We said our good byes and both went our own ways. Life is strange.