Saturday, 28 February 2009

Retirement Present?


We were the only white family allowed to live on the DeSmet Reservation. We lived there only because of Mom's position as Federal Post Mistress. We were not overly welcome and often teased about our race.
We attended the Catholic School with everyone else that lived on the reservation. The nuns were difficult task masters and, of course, very rule oriented. I was in the first grade and I was not an easy child, I often would leave class and go home in the middle of an assignment. I did the work when and how I decided to. Consequently I spent a lot of time in the Mother Superior's office (which is the equivalent of the principle's office).
Our class room was set up in rows of desks, the first grade was in the row farthest from the door. The next row was the second grade and so it continued through the 6th grade, all in the one classroom. It wasn't unusual for the class to be interrupted but it usually involved one of the older grades.
It was in the spring of 1957, probably May, when the Mother Superior of the Convent announced her retirement. Of course there was a lot of the talk among the students as to whom would replace her.
I was only 6 years old and in the first grade so all of this "school" stuff was new to me and I didn't understand any of this. What I remember was that one day the class was interrupted when one of the sisters walked into the classroom.
Today it was to announce that there would be a drawing to decided who would represent the school at Mother Superiors retirement. They had put every one's name in the drawing and although I didn't understand what was actually happening I did know that a drawing meant a prize! A prize was always coveted! I must want to win this very much!
I told my parents my version of the events and I was cautioned by them not to hope too much. There were many children in the drawing.
The next morning I was called to the Mother Superior's office. This was not an unusual event so I simply wondered which of the rules I had broken and how long until I could go to recess. Instead I was told I had been selected to ride with Mother Superior to the retirement convent in Spokane Washington. I had won the contest!
I was on a cloud. I got up early the morning of the ride. I wore my best school uniform. I had my hair braided with special ribbons. I ate a special breakfast so as to not be hungry on the trip. It was almost 90 miles!
Three us were to go in the convent's pick up truck. One of the younger sisters was to drive, I sat in the middle and Mother Superior rode in the passenger seat. I could see the road whizzing by through the floor board of the old truck. I was very nervous.
Soon the motion of the truck, the road flowing by underfoot and my breakfast began a war on my stomach. In one explosive moment I had ruined my day. I vomited on Mother Superior! I was terrified.
We pulled off the road and Mother Superior cleaned herself the best she could with the few tissues we had. We all climbed back into the truck and continued our trip.
I was so ashamed. I cried and apologized until I finally fell asleep in Mother Superior's lap and slept through the rest of the trip. I don't remember anything else of the trip but I am sure it was a trip that Mother Superior remembered!