Friday, 09 October 2009

#15


The Lind "house" was very nice. All brick, nice lawns, good neighborhood and in the "better" side of town.
Lind, Washington. I really didn't like this town at all! It was small, isolating and very close knit, which meant new people were shunned. I took refuge in books, any kind of book I could find. It was the only activity available other than working at my parents tavern, cleaning anything and everything.
This is where I became aware of my eating problems. I was left at home all day by myself, I don't know where my brother was and probably didn't care. He wasn't a very nice child. I kept going to the bread box because I couldn't think of anything else to do. Finally one day I decided to sew something so I wouldn't be so bored.
I searched the house but I couldn't find any fabric to use. Finally I thought of a Orange, pink and red plaid set of sheets that I had always like the look of and I went to work. I sewed a pencil skirt with belt, a 3 button matching vest and used a white pillow case to make a simple sleeveless short waisted top for under the vest. I thought it looked very nice. I was very excited about wearing it to school on Monday. Of course the house was a disasterous, thread and trimmings everywhere, sewing machine, scissors and pins across the living room floor.
Needless to say mom and dad were less than impressed that night when they came home from a long day at work to a house that looked like a cyclone had hit. It took me the rest of the week end to clean it but i didn't mind, at least I wasn't bored.
This is what really started my enjoyment of sewing. I can't remember learning to sew, it was just always a part of our lives. I know I sewed clothes for my dolls on a little toy sewing machine that had a crank handles but I have no idea how old I was....maybe 4 or 5.
After the "sheet" experiment Mom and Dad made sure I had plenty of supplies around the house. I was sewing all the time. I made most of my clothes from then on.
At the end of the school year it was time once again for Dad to sell the tavern, named "Slim's". Again Gene had a buyer but I remember this time he was being very mysterious about the buyer. After the sale was final Gene had invited us to dinner to meet the new owners. That is when we found out that the buyer was my Aunt Bessie, Dad's sister.
I was glad to be rid of the town and it's selfish people.